Dscanner - DCD - Dfix ... Editor support or the lack of it.

Benny benny.luypaert at rhysoft.com
Fri Jan 26 16:30:19 UTC 2018

On Friday, 26 January 2018 at 07:08:50 UTC, Johannes Loher wrote:

> Take this all with a grain of salt: I have only tested this on
> Linux and OS X, I have no clue about the situation on Windows.

In general a lot of plugins tend to work better in POSIX systems
then Windows. I think its more a issue about Windows platform
testing.

> But at least my experience was really good, so I'd like to use
> this opportunity to thank all the authors of the plugins and
> the underlying tools for doing this (ungrateful) work (and in
> my opinion doing it very well). I know that probably a lot has
> still to be done, but the state of affairs is not as bad as all
> the complaints make it sounds.

It probably is not as bad but its clearly a issue anyway.

But one guy complaining after trying 6 or 7 times over a year+ (
with constant reporting the issues ), probably means there are
more people out there who tried and simply gave up without
reporting the issues.

> The reasons for the problems you describe still being so common
> have already explained thoroughly by others: Its mainly that
> there are no paid developers working on it and therefore not
> enough people working on it. So the solution is actullay quite
> simple and it is the same answer that most complaints about
> problems with D get: Either do it yourself, or pay somebody to
> do it. That is the quickest way to fix things.

And that is the same issue with a lot of FOSS languages. But at
one moment one needs to say stop.

I donated a lot ( for me anyway ) of money to different FOSS
projects but that money, what happened to it? In general there is
zero accountability where money gets spend on most projects. Just
in the last month over 500$ on different projects. But i am not a
infinity money machine.

And in this case:

Does one donate money to the Code-D/Serve-D developer. But its
not really his issue.
To the D-Language developer? But its not really his issue.

Who do you even donate too to have specific problems that are
hard to trace fixed. Its not like one asks: "Please add x
functionality".

Just recently i donated 100$ to a other language project to
implement socket support. So far i see nothing happening, while
this functionality is more important to me now ( as it blocks my
progress on that project ). So even when donating the results can
be "i feel ripped off".

Do it yourself = Time is money. If i had that much time to learn
the base code of a language, i will not be donating money to
specific language projects ( also i'am not a good core / system
programmer ).

I feel its too many times: Complain about issue => Get responds
there are no people to do it => Please do it yourself or pay.

By that logic i am bankrupt tomorrow with the issues i face in
different languages :)

Let me not bother you too much with my rants. Like i said, its
better ( for me ) to focus on a language that has things better
worked out and it does not feel like screaming at the walls. I
feel sorry for projects like this that have no big corporate
backers because its not a envy position without the money and
focus.