Dscanner - DCD - Dfix ... Editor support or the lack of it.

Dgame r.schuett.1987 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 21:59:51 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 25 January 2018 at 15:20:15 UTC, Benny wrote:
> After months doing a different project, i need a programming
> language for a new client with specific needs. D comes to mind.
> As usual that involves downloading the compiler (dmd and ldc).
>
> So, lets install Visual Studio Code:
>
> * Code-D Plugin:
>   - Syntax highlight *check*
>   - After saving: DMD error suggestions in the code. *check*
>   - Limited name suggestion ( VSC functionality not the plugin
> ) only by forcing VSC (ctrl+space).
>   - ... and nothing else...
>

> So lets try the next plugin:
>

> * Serve-D Plugin:
>   - Syntax highlight *check*
>   - After saving: DMD error suggestions in the code. *check*
>   - Limited name suggestion ( VSC functionality not the plugin
> ) only by forcing VSC (ctrl+space).
>   - ... and nothing else...
>

> Frustration level increasing. Lets try the next one:
>

> * D-Language Plugin:
>   - Syntax highlight *check*
>   - Limited name suggestion ( VSC functionality not the plugin
> ) only by forcing VSC (ctrl+space).
>   - ... and nothing else...
>

> Ok ... so Visual Studio Code its Dscanner, DCD, Workspace-d do
> not properly work or some other issue.
>

> Then lets try IntelliJ Community Edition. After a long time
> getting all the dependancies and compiling them... Dscanner -
> DCD ( client and server ) - Dfix ...
>

> * D Language Plugin:
>   - Syntax highlight *check*
>   - Way too many items like writefln, import etc all being
> marked as unknown. Clearly wrong.
>   - ... and nothing else...
>   - Socket error (std.socket.xxx) on closing IntelliJ
>

> Conclusion is that it feels like the whole D infrastructure is
> very, very poorly supported.
>
> Other issues like delays that some of the D plugins seem to
> introduce:
>
> * Like "loading ..." popups that do nothing but always show up
> ( Visual Studio Code )
> * Like pressing "dot" expecting a response, waiting 2 seconds
> and then finally something happening ( IntelliJ plugin ) but
> simply dumping every possible name and variable ( zero
> intelligent code support )
>
> I assume that this is again broken DCD or Dscanner.
>
> And no, no errors in the console of VSC or anything like that.
>
> Let me summarize my personal D editor experience in the last 1+
> year.
>
> * Attempts at getting D editor support going: 6 or 7.
> * Amount of times things worked out of the box. One! And this
> was limited to about a few minutes and after that all
> suggestions broke again.
> * Amount of times dscanner or dcd or other plugins broke
> because of DMD newest version broke: 4
> * Tested on different machines: 4! They all have one thing in
> common: Windows 10
> * Tested on different Windows installations: 3
> * Tested on different "version" of Windows 10: 3
> * Amount of times complaining to the plugin authors: Too many
> to count.
> [...]

You are not alone. The existing D-Tools are either really bad or
do not work propely/not out of the box. And I have more important
things to do than trying to setup the tools. Maybe someone likes
that, but not me. But I have to say that I've used more or less
successfully Visual-D and Mono-D a few years ago. But neither of
the tools can keep up in any way with Tools for
Rust/C++/C#/Java/PHP. The existence of a good IDE which works out
of the box without annoying setup procedures is crucial for the
success of a language nowadays. That's one of the reason why I've
moved on. I went back to C++ and nowadays to Rust. C++ is not
that clean as D but the Tool support is crucial for anyone who
wants to use the language for other than some hobby stuff.