Dscanner - DCD - Dfix ... Editor support or the lack of it.

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 12:54:37 UTC 2018

On 1/26/18 7:50 PM, Dgame wrote:
> On Saturday, 27 January 2018 at 00:13:51 UTC, Benny wrote:
>> On Saturday, 27 January 2018 at 00:08:17 UTC, Benny wrote:
>>> * Rust: Jetbrain IntelliJ + Rust plugin.
>>> It looks like it has become a official supported plugin by Jetbrain.
>>> Works perfectly out of the box. Impressive results and issue hinting.
>>
>> https://blog.jetbrains.com/blog/2017/08/04/official-support-for-open-source-rust-plugin-for-intellij-idea-clion-and-other-jetbrains-ides/
>>

>> Yep, i was right. Its now a official support plugin by Jetbrain.
>>
>> And no offense but i doubt it has anything to do with Mozilla
>> officially backing Rust but more a sign of popularity. Just as how Go
>> got its own Editor by Jetbrain.
>
> My impression so far is that most of the D users love to program in a
> tiny editor without the features which modern IDE's gives you. That's
> impressive, but outdated and even a bit silly if the project is bigger.
> In any company I've been so far we've used IDE's, because their
> feature-set and tools take so much work away from you - I don't want to
> miss them anymore. Nowadays, the majority of programmers who are willing
> to try new/others programming languages, think so too. I'm somewhat sure
> that this unneccessary hurdle is one of D's biggest mistakes.

While I understand using an IDE is appealing, I want to point to a
possible reverse correlation:

If I had to write swift code without xcode, it would take me so much
extra time, because there are things you just aren't going to get done
without the tools. Swift's libraries are also vast and IMO confusingly
named.

On the other hand, I can write a d project without an IDE much quicker.
Perhaps it's because I've been using D for almost 11 years. Perhaps it's
because I'm intimately involved with the libraries. Or maybe it's
because D libraries are easier to remember. I don't know the real
reason, but to me, the command line tools seem to be enough for D.

I just find it interesting that someone such as myself who prefers vi,
and command line tools, still wants to use xcode for other languages. Is
it me or is it the language? Or is it the project (in swift, I'm writing
a full iOS app, in D just libraries and command line tools)?

That being said, I wouldn't mind an xcode integration for D to try out :)

-Steve