How programmers transition between languages

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 20:15:51 UTC 2018

On Friday, 26 January 2018 at 17:24:54 UTC, Benny wrote:
> On Friday, 26 January 2018 at 09:02:03 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> While this analysis of language popularity on Github is
>> enlightening:
>>
>> http://www.benfrederickson.com/ranking-programming-languages-by-github-users/
>
> What i found interesting is the comparison between the "newer"
> languages and D ( see the reddit thread ).

> While i can understand Rust ( Mozilla ), Kotlin ( Jetbrain ),
> Go ( Google ).
> Even Vala and Crystal are ranked higher then D.

Even vala? You have no idea what the guys at elementary.io are
doing to get more developers to use Vala and GTK for elementary
OS (Linux) apps. They are developing an IDE in addition to their
straight forward Granite toolkit for making app development in
vala much more easier and productive. They've managed to get over
70 fully-native apps designed for their OS from independent
developers since second half of last year, when they launched
their app center.

I don't know how the D Foundation think or know about growing the
developer community and tools, but I don't see a good job done in
that aspect. And...elementary makes less money than D Foundation
(I think, besides, they don't spend money on their community
growth... just the obvious "non-technical" stuff).

The committee really need to have a modern approach to this
community and tools thing.

There have been several complaints about tools, and certain
important stuff missing in the standard library (HTTP/HTTP2, rpc,
etc) and no 'official' response or some blog post from them about
it (whether they even care). Several efforts have been
made...(the std_* stuff in the dub registry)... still nothing
much. At least input from committee show they care. I feel like
its always compiler stuff alone.

Or pay someone good at developer community stuff to take charge.
I said this some 2 yrs ago (my language about "female" won me
some insults from some people in the forum, remember? It was
discussed at the conference with the exception of the idea I was
trying to communicate). I watched the D 2017 Conference and
nothing about tools and community growth was discussed (except it
was not "video-ed"). Unless its not important that much.