How programmers transition between languages

rjframe dlang at ryanjframe.com
Sun Jan 28 00:31:18 UTC 2018

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 22:59:17 +0000, Ola Fosheim Grostad wrote:

> On Saturday, 27 January 2018 at 13:56:35 UTC, rjframe wrote:
>> If you use an IDE or analysis/lint tool, you'll get type checking. The
>> interpreter will happily ignore those annotations.
>
> You need to use a type checker to get type checking... No surprise
> there, but without standard type annotations the type checker isn't all
> that useful.  Only in past few years have typing stubs become available
> for libraries, and that makes a difference,

My point is that the interpreter ignores information that I give it, when
that information clearly proves that I have a bug. Python 3.6 gives you an
explicit type system when you want/need it, but stops just short of making
it actually useful without secondary tools.

Granted, everybody should be using those tools on decent-sized projects
anyway, but the interpreter shouldn't be ignoring obvious issues. If I
explicitly label a type, implicit casts/overrides/replacements should not
be accepted, no matter how dynamic the type system. The feature was
designed for tools; they failed to design it for programmers as well.