D as a betterC a game changer ?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Jan 29 10:34:35 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2017-12-27 at 19:11 +0000, Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
[…]
> People also continue to think and write as if the D Foundation
> has this inexhaustible fund of resources (pecuniary and people)
> that it can command to work on whatever Andrei and Walter think
> best.

But on the other hand there is little or no presence of The D
Foundation in online places I frequent. The D Foundation does need to
have a plan for becoming a thing that people would put resource into.

> It's open source!  It doesn't work like that.
>
> If you want people to work on something, write a proof of concept
> and talk about it.  Talking to the aether about what people ought
> to be doing will be less effective than finding one guy who
> agrees with you and working on the project together.  And if not
> working on it yourself, then organising a fund and making an
> initial contribution towards a prize for someone who will.
>
> And if one isn't willing either to work on something oneself, or
> to contribute financially towards its development, just how
> likely is it you will persuade somebody else to do the work in a
> community of highly intelligent, spirited, and independent-minded
> people?

This bears repeating, so I have done by resending.

The ASF has the idea of a project being a "do-ocracy" Those that do
have rights of credit and opinion. It a bit more complicated than that
since it doesn't stop people from having opinions as long as they are
constructive rather than rhetorical. However, it is a nice headline.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200