How programmers transition between languages

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Jan 30 20:56:22 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 08:32:41 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Sunday, 28 January 2018 at 00:47:23 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> The community will have to do this.
> They are part of the community. I'm not saying Andrei or Walter
> should write an http/https2, json,  etc.
>  lib. They need to actively help build and grow the
> community/workforce that collectively make those things happen.
> Or pay someone part-time or full time to do that.

But who's going to pay? I don't think anyone would object to
paying someone to write libraries - it worked well for languages
like Java - but I'm not aware of a pot of money to do that. Also,
and I don't mean this in a bad way, I think Walter and Andrei are
skilled at tasks other than building a community. Everyone has
their own set of interests, and for them, it's not building a
community. Just my observation of course.

>> If Walter and Andrei were interested in it, they'd have been
>> working on it long ago. They have way too much to do the way
>> it is,
> They speak for themselves.

Except that their involvement would mean all decisions go through
them, and things already move slowly enough on the
language/compiler/Phobos that it would be a disaster to add more
to their todo lists. Not only would it make it impossible to get
anything done on those libraries, it would slow down everything
else they're involved with as well.