Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 22:12:07 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 21:49:39 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Meaning, the "enormous performance advantage" is because of
> "extremely eefficient native code".  I don't argue that C++ has
> extremely efficient native code. But so has D. So the claim
> that C++ has an "enormous performance advantage" over D is
> specious.

Well, it isn't relevant for those people who would adopt D anyway.

Of course, C++ and Java have some advantages by being so large
that there is a market for commercial specialty solutions and
services... Although most C++ and Java programmers use tooling
that is essentially free (well except perhaps the IDE), so for
most of them it won't matter.

Even when smaller languages try to implement such
tooling/features there isn't a large enough user base to harness
the implementation (since even for big languages the actual user
base for those features are low), so it is very hard for smaller
languages to branch into those special niches unless the whole
language feature set is geared towards a specific niche... but
that harms adoption too...