Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 22:43:32 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 21:49:39 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> "extremely eefficient native code".  I don't argue that C++ has
> extremely efficient native code. But so has D. So the claim
> that C++ has an "enormous performance advantage" over D is
> specious.

We also need to keep in mind that for a small segment of C++
programmers it is important to be able to use CPU/SoC/hardware
vendor backed compilers so that they can ship optimized code the
day a new CPU is available. So there is a distinct advantage
there for people who don't aim for consumer CPUs.

Most programmers don't care as much, since adoption of new CPUs
is slow enough for GCC/Clang to catch up in time.

Anyway, as C++ is taking more and more of C's niche, this issue
can be more an more "threatening". E.g. hardware vendors that now
only ship C compilers might in the future only  ship C++
compilers... I don't know exactly where this is going, but it is
possible that C++ could become hard to displace for hardware
oriented programming. Seems like more an more embedded
programming is moving to C++ from C.