How programmers transition between languages

Benny benny.luypaert at rhysoft.com
Wed Jan 31 00:34:48 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 11:55:42 UTC, rjframe wrote:
> - I click "Browse All Crates"; the default sort is alphabetical
> - not
>   useful unless I'm just browsing,

Right side:

* Alphabetical
* All-Time Downloads
* Recent Downloads

https://crates.io/categories

https://crates.io/categories

> I guess I
>   have to know what I'm looking for and use the right search
> term.
> - Overall, I have the impression that it was designed to look
> good, but
>   less effort has gone into what people will want to do with it
> in the
>   first place (assuming I can consider myself normal for a
> moment).
>
> Dub doesn't look so nice, but it's efficient; I could see me
> searching Cargo for something and not finding it;

True... but both dub and cargo are not exactly the pinnacle in
user friendly and informative packages websites.

> I've never thought that about Dub (granted, far fewer packages)
> or Pypi.

  1,193 packages found
13,605 Crates in stock Side note: End of 2016, this was 1400.

If you consider 12 times "far fewer packages".

The issue is that a lot of D's packages are even less maintained
then Rust, mostly because Rust being newer and attracting more
active crowds. And it does not help when Dmd having constant
deprecating functions and regressions ( what happens WAY too
often ) that break packages.

Its a long term weakness. Depending on 3th party packages is
always dangerous but even more so when the compiler forces people
to use older versions, just to stay safe.