Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Jan 31 06:27:05 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 22:43:32 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 21:49:39 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> "extremely eefficient native code".  I don't argue that C++
>> has extremely efficient native code. But so has D. So the
>> claim that C++ has an "enormous performance advantage" over D
>> is specious.
>
> We also need to keep in mind that for a small segment of C++
> programmers it is important to be able to use CPU/SoC/hardware
> vendor backed compilers so that they can ship optimized code
> the day a new CPU is available. So there is a distinct
> advantage there for people who don't aim for consumer CPUs.
>
> Most programmers don't care as much, since adoption of new CPUs
> is slow enough for GCC/Clang to catch up in time.
>
> Anyway, as C++ is taking more and more of C's niche, this issue
> can be more an more "threatening". E.g. hardware vendors that
> now only ship C compilers might in the future only  ship C++
> compilers... I don't know exactly where this is going, but it
> is possible that C++ could become hard to displace for hardware
> oriented programming. Seems like more an more embedded
> programming is moving to C++ from C.

BMW has a few talks from 2017 talking about them and the
remaining car manufacturers finally moving away from C into C++11
(on a 2nd talk they refer C++14).

They are also taking care that car electronic standard
certifications move to C++.

Sony did a similar one regarding embedded electronics.

CodePlay just started a similar work for MISRA.

So with those companies only now leaving C and moving into C++,
it will take at least a decade before they consider something
else.

And lets not forget Arduino, ESP286 and ESP32 are making wonders
for the kids to jump into C++ as their first language.