Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Andrew Benton Andrew.Benton675 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 07:56:37 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 20:45:44 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> https://www.quora.com/Why-hasnt-D-started-to-replace-C++
>
> Andrei

I think that the largest issue there is probably the marketing
and advocacy.  When Rust was about the same share as D, it had
much better marketing.  Someone was running their twitter channel
and working to make the language much more visible.  D flat out
doesn't have that.

If I had to pick a second issue, it's that the ecosystem story is
hard compared to other languages.  New programmers aren't certain
what to choose or how to get their environment up and running.
Compared against Rust, Go, and Java we have horrible ecosystem
fragmentation.  E.g. three compilers, two separate languages for
dub