Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 11:19:50 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 31 January 2018 at 10:35:06 UTC, Benny wrote:
> I told before if there is no leadership to focus resources and
> the main developers are more focused on adding more features to
> the compiler that is already overflowing, then how do you
> expect to see things solved?

Yes, that is probably the main issue. Where D is going with
memory management is still not clear after...  many years.  It is
also not clear whether D is trying to carve its own niche or is
going after C/C++/Rust, different people state very different
goals.  So it is difficult to imagine where D is heading.  At the
moment it is basically easier to just stand by and watch while
using more narrowly focused languages in production.

> Let me say this again: I like D but unless you are years into D
> as a developer its just frustrating to deal with the constant
> issues.

So basically the same issues as C++.

> Tired of reading the same rhetoric as are the people who think
> posts
> like this are troll posts.

People who pretend to be self-confident, but aren't, tend to go
with that rhetoric. *shrugs*