Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

John Gabriele jgabriele at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 31 16:13:51 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 31 January 2018 at 11:42:14 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Wednesday, 31 January 2018 at 10:35:06 UTC, Benny wrote:
>
>> And 3 different installation method's depending on the
>> platform.
>>
>> Windows: DMD installer, LDC manually extract zip and setup
>> path, GDC ...
>
> That's only an issue on Windows.
> For Posix there's the official install.sh script [1].
>
> [1] https://dlang.org/install.html

I've never seen that page. Would've helped me to see it earlier.
The D download page should include a blurb with a link to that
install page.

I tried going to github.com/dlang/dlang.org, finding the download
page, and adding a blurb+link to install.html above those `curl
... install.sh` commands, but that download.dd page is written in
a format I'm not familiar with. It's difficult to read, and
appears quite clumsy to write as well.

It surprises me that D docs are written in that ddoc macro format
--- especially for standalone docs like the download page. I
think people unfamiliar with D have a perception of D as being
this older language from times past, before C++11, and using ddoc
for docs instead of markdown contributes to this perception. Let
me know if you'd like help in translating D website and doc pages
from ddoc to markdown.