Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 17:02:06 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 31 January 2018 at 14:22:03 UTC, Jack Stouffer
wrote:
> It's quite easy to tell when criticism is made in good or bad
> faith

Is it?  Why do so many people have problems with it then?
Stupidity?

> and at this point I'm going to reply to every rant in bad faith
> on here about how terrible D is with "Post issue numbers" and
> nothing else. If you have a legitimate problem, make an issue
> at issues.dlang.org

Ok, and now you are entering a messy space, define "legitimate"?
I think the most important issue he raised was how project
management is either under-communicated or conducted.  Either way
he sends a strong signal that he is one person (of many) that D
failed to convert even though he was motivated and able. I don't
think that is his problem... as he has many other options, but it
most certainly could be an indicator of a project challenge.

By neglecting that you also neglect what could be a source for
process improvement.  Development processes need continuous
improvement. They don't happen by themselves, they need attention
throughout the lifespan of the project. It is a matter of
priorities, of course, but that is not a question of
"legitimate", that is a question of "ranking".

For some reason this ranks below colourful error-messages. I
don't know the reasoning behind that ranking, so I am not going
to argue whether that is the right priorities, but it _looks_
odd, so something is either under-communicated or maybe he was
right about management related issues. I don't know.

Whatever spot D is in right now in comparison to other projects,
good or bad, most certainly isn't because of a lack of marketing.
Marketing would only bring in more demanding users and more such
not "legitimate" issues would be raised.

People expect less friction today than they did 10 years ago. To
some extent Microsoft, Google, Jetbrains and others have handed
out slick freebies and conditioned programmers to be more
demanding. That is the dynamics of the current "market".