Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

David Gileadi gileadisNOSPM at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 17:07:08 UTC 2018

On 1/31/18 9:13 AM, John Gabriele wrote:
> On Wednesday, 31 January 2018 at 11:42:14 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 31 January 2018 at 10:35:06 UTC, Benny wrote:
>>
>>> And 3 different installation method's depending on the platform.
>>>
>>> Windows: DMD installer, LDC manually extract zip and setup path, GDC ...
>>
>> That's only an issue on Windows.
>> For Posix there's the official install.sh script [1].
>>
>> [1] https://dlang.org/install.html
>
> I've never seen that page. Would've helped me to see it earlier. The D
> download page should include a blurb with a link to that install page.
>
> I tried going to github.com/dlang/dlang.org, finding the download page,
> and adding a blurb+link to install.html above those `curl ...
> install.sh` commands, but that download.dd page is written in a format
> I'm not familiar with. It's difficult to read, and appears quite clumsy
> to write as well.
>
> It surprises me that D docs are written in that ddoc macro format ---
> especially for standalone docs like the download page. I think people
> unfamiliar with D have a perception of D as being this older language
> from times past, before C++11, and using ddoc for docs instead of
> markdown contributes to this perception. Let me know if you'd like help
> in translating D website and doc pages from ddoc to markdown.

I'm working on adding Markdown support to DDoc. If my changes are
accepted it could make these kinds of edits easier, without having to
change the whole website at once.

Ages ago I helped redesign the website, which involved messing with DDoc
macros. I have to agree that DDoc macros aren't always the friendliest.