Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 22:34:09 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 31 January 2018 at 19:00:57 UTC, Jack Stouffer
wrote:
> That's just something that Walter was able to bang out in an
> hour, should have been done years ago, and was excited about.

So it isn't a big deal, but IMO that should be left to an IDE or
shell.

Back to the argument about cPython vs PyPy/dmd vs ldc. You want
the reference compiler to be relatively simple and leave the
unnecessary complications to the production compiler. So if DMD's
backend was simple and only was a bare minimum implementation of
the semantics then having multiple compilers would be comparable
to the Python situation. PyPy is probably way too complicated to
act as a reference and it would be difficult for Python to move
if it had been the reference.

Some might say that DMD is too complicated to act as a reference
as well, and that D has a problem moving because of it. If that
is true, and I think it is, then the logical conclusion would be
to make the DMD codebase simpler and leave performance to LDC.
Like Python does with PyPy.