forum best practices

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sun Jul 1 03:49:21 UTC 2018

On Sunday, July 01, 2018 03:19:32 Temtaime via Digitalmars-d wrote:

> > enough to cue

> >> Quoting at least _part_ of the message is highly desirable for
> >> those using
> >> the mailing list, even it's very abbreviated.
> >
> > What I said :-)
>
> Just drop away this annoying quoting by default.

Please, no.

1. Most clients are going to quote the entire text of the message that's
being replied to, so the only people affected by any attempt to not have the
quotes would be those using the web interface.

2. If it didn't quote the original post, it would be really annoying to then
actually quote the relevant pieces that should be quoted.

3. If it didn't automatically quote the original post, then a number of
people would quickly start not quoting at all, which would cause
communication problems any time that a client doesn't thread the messages
properly (which definitely happens with some e-mail clients, and I'm pretty
sure that it happens with the web interface at least sometimes, but I don't
use it often enough to remember for sure). It also would create problems for
anyone who doesn't use a threaded view (be that in a newsgroup client, an
e-mail client, or the web interface).

4. As I recall, the web interface already warns you if you leave enough of
the quote in that it thinks that you're probably overquoting.

- Jonathan M Davis