D and shared librery

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Mon Jul 2 02:15:34 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 1 July 2018 at 14:05:30 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> On 02/07/2018 1:53 AM, boolangery wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I didn't find resources on what are actually supported with D
>> and shared library.
>>
>> I need to reduce binary size, so I would like to ship all
>> dependencies as shared
>>
>> I read on some forum that shared library is conflicting with
>> garbage collection of the druntime ?
>>
>> I absolutely need shared library due to space constraints (and
>> multiple binaries  ),so I need to know if D should be
>> abandoned.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> You should abandon D if you require (hard no compromise):
>
> 1) Shared libraries (D, not e.g. C)

Shared libraries are working fine on Linux and OSX.
For example, on ArchLinux LDC builds shared libraries by default.
Maybe you have recently run into an issue on Windows and are
frustrated because of this?

> AND
> 2) Languages features like classes (and with it type info)

What's wrong about D's classes?

> 3) Cross platform support (Windows mostly is the problem atm)
>
> Some may say, but it works for me! But it doesn't work for most
> users.

> It simply hasn't been designed as an experience.

I hear a lot of frustration here, but even though one might hit a
bump here and there, it doesn't mean that D hasn't been designed
to have a nice experience.

Did you post your issues to the #dbugfix campaign?