gRPC, Better C and D

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Mon Jul 2 10:25:07 UTC 2018

On Friday, 22 June 2018 at 18:10:54 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the core of gRPC is written in C. I asked the developers
> whether they considered rewriting the core with Better C
> (https://github.com/grpc/grpc/issues/15786).
> They answered that they won't rewrite it with Better C but they
> are open for including D into their ecosystem.
> They have support for different languages and most of them are
> wrappers around the C Core functionality (C++, C#, Objective C,
> PHP, Python, Ruby).
>
> As far as I know there is no gRPC wrapper for D at the moment
> and if I remember correctly on DConf München there was a
> speaker talking about the need of a D wrapper for gRPC.
>
> My idea was to translate the C++
> (https://github.com/grpc/grpc/tree/master/src/cpp) coding to D
> coding but my C++ knowledge is very limited.
>
> Is someone interested in adding D to gRPC?
>
> Kind regards
> André

Small update. With the help of evilrat I was able to translate
the C headers to D.
https://github.com/andre2007/grpc/tree/feature/d/src/d/source/grpc/c

While the source code compiles without errors, everything is
completely untested.
As next step I will try to rewrite the python grpc code with D:
https://github.com/andre2007/grpc/tree/feature/d/src/python/grpcio/grpc/_cython/_cygrpc