Is package.d a good idea?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Jul 4 16:06:40 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, July 04, 2018 11:50:07 Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> The obvious pros to ditching package.d and using a directory and module
> with the same name are: 1. no ambiguity in the filesystem (assuming you
> don't have weird package/file schemes) and 2. It's more understandable
> to someone not used to the current state of affairs.
>
> To me, it's not worth it for just those things. I'm curious why Rust is
> changing.

I don't know, but I suspect that they actually require that all of the
modules of a package be in the same folder and don't allow the weird
renaming stuff that we allow and then basically tell people to never use. I
question that even then, inferring the modules in the package is ultimately
a good idea, but it would make more sense if the module layout is less
flexible.

- Jonathan M Davis