Sutter's ISO C++ Trip Report - The best compliment is when someone else steals your ideas....

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 13:53:51 UTC 2018

On 7/6/18 4:21 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/5/2018 3:26 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> people keep tripping over the terminology
>
> Some people do. However, the long threads of debate on this topic was
> with people who were clear on what the terminology meant.

My question has never been the difference between programming and input
errors. My question always has been how the compiler ascribes
programming errors to things that could easily also be checkable and
recoverable, depending on context. For instance, array bounds checks. D
makes this choice for you, and it's unfortunate to have to check things
twice, or not rely on the compiler to insert those checks.

But luckily D is powerful enough to add types that do the right thing :)

-Steve