Sutter's ISO C++ Trip Report - The best compliment is when someone else steals your ideas....

crimaniak crimaniak at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 22:24:02 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 11 July 2018 at 18:27:33 UTC, Brad Roberts wrote:

> ... application exiting asserts in production.  Yes, you kill
> the app.  You exit as fast and often as the errors occur.  You
> know what happens?  You find the bugs faster, you fix them even
> faster, and the result is solid software.
You mean that the serious consequences of errors better motivate
programmers? Then I have an idea. If you connect the current to
the chairs of the developers, and with each failed assert the
programmer responsible for this part will receive an electrical
discharge, the code will surely become even more reliable. But I
want the error found in the production not to lead to a drop in
the service, affecting all the users who are currently on the
site, and this is a slightly different aspect.

> When you're afraid of your software and afraid to make changes
> to it, you make bad choices.  Embrace every strategy you can
> find to help you find problems as quickly as possible.
Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand how this relates to the
topic. Still, I do not think that a failed assert message in the
log allows you to find an error faster than a similar message,
but about an exception.