Sutter's ISO C++ Trip Report - The best compliment is when someone else steals your ideas....

crimaniak crimaniak at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 22:35:06 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 11 July 2018 at 13:19:01 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> Sounds like you're describing the "Let it crash" philosophy of
> Erlang:
>
> https://ferd.ca/the-zen-of-erlang.html
   I never program Erlang, but I think yes, something like this.
The people who developed Erlang definitely have a lot of
experience developing services.

> The crucial point is whether you can depend on the error being
> isolated, as in Erlang's lightweight processes. I guess D
> assumes it isn't.
  I think if we have a task with safe code only, and communication
with message passing, it's isolated good enough to make error
kill this task only. In any case, I still can drop the whole
application myself if I think it will be the more safe way to
deal with errors. So paranoids do not lose anything in the case
of this approach.