Guido van Rossum has resigned

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Jul 13 13:55:07 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-07-13 at 03:21 +0000, Meta via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 July 2018 at 21:16:02 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> > as Python's BDFL.
> >
> > https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-committers/2018-July/00566
> > 4.html
>
> I looked up PEP 572 and... *this* is what people are up in arms
> about? Assignment in expressions, which works fine the majority
> of the time in the many languages that allow it. The benefits far
> outweigh the drawbacks IMO.

It isn't that simple. PEP 572 is contentious because this is Python and
assignment in expression is not a trivial shoo in concept.

Also it isn't that simple because it is not actually about PEP 572
alone, PEP 572 just ended up being the "straw that broke the camel's
back".

BDFL has had to deal with some "attitude" over the years that no-one
should have to deal with. Till recently he let it wash off, but there
is the drip-drip effect. BDFL has not though always been the easiest
person to debate with, and has on occasion short circuited the system
for pet projects. So the traffic has not all been one way.

All in all this is a complicated situation that people should not try
to reduce to something simple. I am sad Guido has stepped down as BDFL,
he originated it, and has, in the main, been an excellent figurehead
custodian as the project got bigger and many other got involved.

I have no doubt Python Software Foundation (PSF) will keep Guido as
President unless he pulls out of that as well – which I really hope he
doesn't. It is now down to Naomi Cedar as PSF Chair to replace the PEP
decision making structure. As long as the PSF executive committee act
quickly and decisively, I can't see a problem. I suspect replacing BDFL
is not an option, a new system is needed. Some form of rotating
committee is the most likely I suspect.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200