Copy Constructor DIP

Luís Marques luis at luismarques.eu
Tue Jul 17 14:42:36 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 14 July 2018 at 10:53:17 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I think it's better to choose a more general attribute name
> with reduced initial applicability. Then application of said
> attribute can be extended to other functions with ease. In
> contrast, an obscure attribute name is sure to be followed by
> more obscure attribute names. And don't get me started about
> inventing new syntax.
>
> Regarding the hand-wringing over generality: we have an
> exceedingly poor record of paralysis of analysis, whereby we'd
> worry that every design decision potentially locks us out from
> all other as-of-yet-unchosen design decisions. If history is
> any indication, this sudden worry about vaguely-promising green
> pastures of the future is a sign of malady. We want copy
> construction. Conflating this with a very general schemata for
> implicit conversion would not be a wise decision in my opinion.
> I now deeply regret ever telling Razvan to mention future
> possible directions. This DIP must do implicit copy
> constructors and do it well, nothing less and nothing more.)

I also think a more general attribute is better. I think there's
a middle ground between total analysis paralysis and no
discussion of concept generality. I had hoped some thought would
be given to the implications of implicit but overall I'm still
happy, and I trust your judgement. BTW, I would still have
brought it up even if the DIP didn't mention future directions :-)