DMD, Vibe.d, and Dub

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Jul 18 18:19:51 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 07:08:32PM +0100, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-07-18 at 17:45 +0000, Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
> > Am Wed, 18 Jul 2018 13:29:00 +0100 schrieb Russel Winder:
> […]
> > > libssl installed but libssl-dev not. I can't quite see why the
> > > linker ld needs the development files, it just needs the shared
> > > objects to be present.
> >
> > Debian moved the lib*.so => lib*.so.123version symlinks into the
> > -dev packages some time ago, so now you can't link without -dev
> > packages.
> > Not the smartest move imho....
>
> I think I shall find it hard to discover a reason why you are wrong,
> but clearly the Debian devs in charge managed to.
[...]

Having been using Debian for almost two decades, the impression I get is
that generally -dev packages are required whenever you need to do
anything related to compiling, which includes linking to the library.

The only time you don't need -dev packages is when you're running an
already-compiled executable that's already linked with the library
(which is generally the case for end users who don't routinely compile &
link programs, hence this particular way of dividing -dev vs. non-dev
packages).

Programming is not just an act of telling a computer what to do: it is
also an act of telling other programmers what you wished the computer to
do. Both are important, and the latter deserves care. -- Andrew Morton