DIP 1016--ref T accepts r-values--Community Review Round 1

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:13:44 UTC 2018

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 at 02:25, Bastiaan Veelo via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 20 July 2018 at 05:16:53 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> > This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community
> > Review for DIP 1016, "ref T accepts r-values":
> >
> > https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/725541d69149bc85a9492f7df07360f8e2948bd7/DIPs/DIP1016.md
>
> The only difficulty I had was reading
> > An example may be some meta that reflects or receives a
> > function by alias.
> My difficulties are with the word “meta” used as a noun and what
> “reflecting a function” means. I think I would have worded it as
> > An example may be some template with an ‘alias’ parameter that
> > is instantiated on a function.

I use the term 'meta' because it's not so clear how the construction
emerges; it is often not a single template, because that's relatively
easy to control, but rather some construction or composition with
components from 3rd party libs which you don't control. (I've made
that point elsewhere)
I use 'meta' to generally refer to any such machinery in any form.