DIP 1016--ref T accepts r-values--Community Review Round 1

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Sun Jul 22 09:17:36 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 22 July 2018 at 08:53:53 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 at 01:00, Johannes Loher via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>
>> - Somebody already mentioned this, but this sections sounds
>> confusing, please find a better wording: "An example may be
>> some meta that reflects or receives a function by alias." Also
>> you seem to be using "meta" as a noun many times. I'm not
>> totally sure, but I don't think it actually is a noun and for
>> the least, It is very uncommon as a noun which makes
>> understanding the corresponding sections much harder. For
>> example I don't understand what is actually meant by "brittle
>> meta" in a later section.
>
> I use the term 'meta' (as in meta-programming) to refer to
> compile-time constructions.
> I don't tend to say "a template", because many problematic
> constructions are compositions, and then consider mixin; not
> 'template's.
> I feel like 'meta' is the simplest accepted term for "compile
> time
> machinery". I'm happy to change my language if it's so
> confusing. What
> should I write?

Both these terms (CT [construction|machinery]) I find more
descriptive than just “meta”. If you want to use “meta” then I’d
suggest “meta code” to differentiate it from meta data, meta key
or meta proposal (which is this: a proposal on a proposal) :-)

-Bastiaan