Will the PhotoObject DIP depercated the old Object class?

12345swordy alexanderheistermann at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 23:19:22 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 at 21:50:10 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 20:25:33 12345swordy via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> I am asking this, because if true then the DIP that I am
>> currently working on has been render obsolete as I have taken
>> the old Object class into account when writing this.
>
> It is not the plan to deprecate Object (nice as that would be),
> but if you're writing a DIP that specifically targets Object,
> then you may want to rethink it. It will continue to exist, but
> it's likely that its use will be discouraged, and regardless,
> whatever you're proposing will have to take into account that
> many classes will have nothing to do with Object (though that's
> actually already possible thanks to extern(C++)).
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

This is the DIP that I am working on:
https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/pull/120

It involves attributes regarding the ~this() function.
ProtoObject have been suggested a solution to this. Though as you
said, not many class will be guarantee to have object or
ProtoObject involved. I view my DIP as a simple type checker for
destroy while I think that the ProtoObject as a type enforcer for
classes.

-Alexander