C's Biggest Mistake on Hacker News

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Jul 25 08:23:40 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 at 09:54:37 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 at 00:41:54 UTC, RhyS wrote:
>> [...]
>
> +1
>
> IMO, D in its current state, and with its current ecosystem,
> even after more than a decade of existence, is still NOT the
> best alternative to C/C++ where they HAVE to be used
> (microcontrollers, game engines, etc), despite D has always had
> this objective in mind. And despite C++ is an unsafe language
> which makes it easy to have memory leaks, dangling pointers,
> etc.
>
> [...]

I might add that the C# 7.x improvements for low level memory
management, and the effort that Unity is doing with their C#
subset (HPC# with Burst compiler toolchain) to migrate core
subsystems from C++ to C#, it gets even harder for adoption in
the games industry.

https://unity3d.com/unity/features/job-system-ECS

Mike Acton and Andreas Fredriksson left Insomianc Games to help
drive this effort.

Mike opinions regarding performance and C vs C++ are very well
known across the gaming industry, and here he is improving C#
performance at Unity.

--
Paulo