C's Biggest Mistake on Hacker News

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 17:23:40 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 25 July 2018 at 16:39:51 UTC, bpr wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 at 17:24:41 UTC, Seb wrote:

>>> There was a precise GC in the works at one point, no clue
>>> what happened to it.
>>
>> The newest PR is:
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/1977
>>
>> Though there's already a bit of precise scanning on Windows,
>> e.g. https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/1798 and IIRC
>> Visual D uses a precise GC too.
>
> Well, this is a big problem with D IMO. There are a lot of
> unfinished, half baked features which linger in development for
> years. How long for precise GC now, over 5 years? I don't think
> D was really designed to be friendly to GC, and it just isn't
> realistic to expect that there will *ever* be a production
> quality precise GC for all of D. Maybe giving up on some things
> and finishing/fixing others would be a better strategy? I think
> so, which is why I think DasBetterC is the most appealing thing
> I've seen in D lately.

+1

But don't be too optimistic about BetterC...

Honestly, considering D's leadership current priorities, I don't
see how it could become soon a true C++ or Go competitor, even
with the half-baked BetterC initiative...

For instance, I've suggested they consider using reference
counting as an alternative default memory management scheme, and
add it to the lists of scolarship and crowdsourced project, and
of course they have added all the other suggestion, but not this
one. What a surprise ;)

Despite this is probably one of the most used allocation
management scheme in typical C++ development, as this drastically
reduces the risks of memory leaks and dangling pointers...

Anyway, meanwhile D remains a fantastic strongly-typed scripting
language for file processing and data analysis, and its recent
adoption at Netflix has once again clearly proved it...