C's Biggest Mistake on Hacker News

Laeeth Isharc laeeth at laeeth.com
Wed Jul 25 23:27:45 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 at 00:41:54 UTC, RhyS wrote:
> On Monday, 23 July 2018 at 22:45:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> I've predicted before that what will kill C is managers and
>> customers requiring memory safety because unsafeness costs
>> them millions. The "just hire better programmers" will never
>> work.
>
> I have yet to see a company Walter where higher ups will take
> correct actions to resolve issues.

It might be that you are working for the wrong companies.  Half
the companies in the world are below average and few are
excellent.

> And most manager are not going to rock the boat and stick their
> necks out. Not when they can simply blame issues on programmer
> incompetence or "it has always been like that with programming
> languages". I have yet to see managers really taking
> responsibility beyond guiding the projects so they do not get
> fired and hope to rack in bonuses. Issues can always be blamed
> on the tools or programmers.

That's a good point, but the nice thing about not having dominant
market share is it's easy to grow it.  You don't need to convince
most managers.  Just a few more people who are on the edge
already anyway.  Quality is better than quantity because the
former concentrate power.

> And frankly, good luck convincing any company to convert
> millions of C code into D code.

The point is with betterC you don't need to.

And on the other hand if you did, libclang would take quite a lot
of the pain out once you did a bit of work upfront.  See DPP

> I am sorry to say but to succeed as a language beyond being a
> small or hobby language it takes: Being established already or
> having a big name to hype behind your "product".

I don't agree.  We are in a time of positive disruption when old
heuristics break down.

All D has to do is to keep compounding its adoption and what
average people think of D is completely irrelevant.  What's
important is what the best people amongst those who are
principals rather than agents think of D.  There's no point
selling it to a committee, but who wants to deal with committees
anyway - life is too short for that if one possibly has the
choice.

> Its the same reason why PHP despite being a good language ( for
> what it is )

!

, still keeps
> getting the exact same crude on forums.
>
> If i am honest, DasBetterC is a for me unreliable D product
> because using specific D library function can be GC. Or
> DasBetterC needs to be sold as C only, ever, forget about
> everything else that is D ( library, packages, ... ). Until
> everything is 100% GC free, your going to run into this. And
> even when its 100% GC free, people have long memories.

Don't use it if you don't want to.  But making predictions is a
tricky thing and mostly of not much value.  I think it's more
interesting to be the change you wish to see in the world.