C's Biggest Mistake on Hacker News

Radu void at null.pt
Thu Jul 26 09:39:51 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 26 July 2018 at 08:45:41 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 July 2018 at 16:39:51 UTC, bpr wrote:
>> Well, this is a big problem with D IMO. There are a lot of
>> unfinished, half baked features which linger in development
>> for years. How long for precise GC now, over 5 years?
>
> Precise GC is only relevant for 32-bit address space, which is
> shrinking even in gamedev.
>
> On Wednesday, 25 July 2018 at 20:24:39 UTC, bpr wrote:
>> For this and similar uses, tracing GC is fine, better in fact
>> than the alternatives. I'm only making noise about betterC for
>> the cases where C++ dominates and tracing GC is a showstopper.
>
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/cgdkzpltclkufotkpbih@forum.dlang.org like this?

Please, there are still a *lot* of 32 bit targets out there, most
of the embedded devices bare metal or Linux based are still 32
bit, and for sure they will still be for the foreseeable future.

Let's not assume how dlang is used or could be used, after all,
most of the embedded applications are not really explicit on how
are made.

Enabling a slower but precise GC for 32 bit would be acceptable
for some applications.

But D GC is getting a lot of criticism and less interest in
improving it. I would like to see a goal on opencollective to
support improving the precise collector and finish it to the
point that it is at least available as an option in the official
builds. I will contribute to that goal, I'm sure others will do.