C's Biggest Mistake on Hacker News

Abdulhaq alynch4047 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 15:04:12 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 25 July 2018 at 23:27:45 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

> But making predictions is a tricky thing and mostly of not much
> value.

I'm really surprised to hear you say this - so much money in the
financial services is poured into making predictions, lots of
them and as fast as possible. Isn't that one of the promises of D
in that market?

Whatever the reality about that, in the life of all humans the
ability to make good predictions is fundamental to survival - if
I cross the road now, will I be run over? If I build a chair to
make money, will anyone buy it?

Likewise, if I am investing time in developing my skills to
further my career, will learning D be a net benefit? This
important question depends heavily on predicting the future of D
(among many other things). If I use D for my startup, will it be
the secret sauce that will propel us to the top, or will I be
better off with JDK8 or modern C++?

>  I think it's more interesting to be the change you wish to see
> in the world.

This has a lovely ring but it doesn't mean not to assess /
predict if what you do will provide a net benefit.