[OT] Re: C's Biggest Mistake on Hacker News

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 13:55:31 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 28 July 2018 at 12:43:55 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

>>each project I
>> start I give some very hard thought about which development
>> environment I'm going to use, and D is often one of those
>> options. The likely future of D on the different platforms is
>> an important part of that assessment, hence 'predicting' the
>> future of D, hard and very unreliable though that is, is an
>> important element in some of my less trivial decisions.
>
> Since you already know D you need to answer a different
> question.
>  What's the chance the compiler will die on the relevant
> horizon, and how bad will it be for me if that happens.
> Personally I'm not worried.   If D should disappear in a few
> years, it wouldn't be the end of the world to port things.  I
> just don't think that's very likely.
>
> Of course it depends on your context.  The people who use D at
> work seem to be more principals who have the right to take the
> best decision as they see it then agents who must persuade
> others who are the real decision-makers.  That's a recipe for
> quiet adoption that's dispersed across many industries
> initially and for the early adopters of D being highly
> interesting people.  Since, as the Wharton professor, Adam
> Grant observes, we are in an age where positive disruptors can
> achieve a lot within an organisation, that's also rather
> interesting.

A very interesting discussion... really.

Perceptions, expectations, prediction...   an easy read I suggest
on the latest trends [1], if someone is interested...

BTW, Laeeth is right in the last paragraph two. I was one of the
'principal' who took the decision to use D in production, 14
years ago, and he described the reasoning of that era very well.

Today I'm still convinced that the adoption of D is a competitive
advantage for a company, I definitely have to work to improve my
bad temper (eheh) to persuade my actual CTO to give it another
change.

/Paolo (btw, I'm the CEO...)