[OT] Re: C's Biggest Mistake on Hacker News

bpr brogoff at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 19:55:56 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 28 July 2018 at 15:36:43 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> I think that I no longer fall into the category of developer
> that D is after. D is targeting pedal-to-the-metal
> requirements, and I don't need that. TBH I think 99% of
> developers don't need it.

I'm 99% sure you just made that number up ;-)

For those developers who don't need the performance usually
achieved with C or C++, and can tolerate GC overheads, there are,
IMO, better languages than D. I'm not saying that here to be
inflammatory, just that I believe performance is a very big part
of the attractiveness of D.

If you're mostly working on Android, then Kotlin seems like your
best option for a non-Java language. It seems OK, there's a
Kotlin native in the works, the tooling is fine, there's a REPL,
etc. I like it better than I like Go.

> We like to think we do and we love to marvel at the speed of
> improved code, but like prediction, it's overrated ;-)

For you, perhaps. I currently work mostly at a pretty low level
and I'm pretty sure it's not just self delusion that causes us to
use C++ at that low level. Perhaps you've noticed the rise of
Rust lately? Are the Mozilla engineers behind it deluded in that
they eschew GC and exceptions? I doubt it. I mostly prefer higher
level languages with GCs, but nothing in life is free, and GC has
significant costs.