Moving druntime into the DMD repository

RazvanN razvan.nitu1305 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 07:37:41 UTC 2018

On Friday, 27 July 2018 at 11:03:50 UTC, Seb wrote:
> This a thread to explore whether it would be feasible to do so.

 From my experience, whenever a change in dmd required a change in
druntime the protocol was pretty straightforward and not at all
annoying:

-> you make the dmd PR and it causes druntime breakage
-> you make the druntime PR to fix the problem

Problem solved. The only overhead here is :

git checkout -b druntime_fix
git push -f origin druntime_fix

Having druntime and dmd as separate repos makes sense because the
two are logically separated. If druntime and dmd are merged
together based on your motivation, there's only a matter of time
until someone, following the same logic as you did, will propose
to also merge phobos with dmd + druntime since modifying the
latter often requires changing the former.

The only situation where your proposal has any benefit is when a
circular dependency arises: you first need the druntime patch to
be able to merge the dmd one and at the same time you first need
the dmd patch to merge the druntime one. I don't even know if
such a situation is possible, but even so, in this case we can
just bite the bullet and merge them both at the (pseudo)same time.

RazvanN