Moving druntime into the DMD repository

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 19:54:20 UTC 2018

On 7/31/18 2:24 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 7/27/2018 4:03 AM, Seb wrote:
>> This a thread to explore whether it would be feasible to do so.
>
> Since DMD and Druntime require each other, it is the right thing to do.

I think this is an incorrect relationship.

DMD does NOT require Druntime, *testing* DMD requires Druntime.

In fact, I thought the whole point of the -betterC feature was to
eliminate any dependency on druntime.

As we move to more and more library-provided hooks and away from
"compiler magic", this coupling will become less and less prevalent.

In fact, most of the changes that require both projects to be
simultaneously to be updated are these magic-removing ones.

If anything makes sense, it would be to remove the compiler-dependencies
out of druntime into a smaller runtime library that is included in the
dmd project. Most of druntime is dependencies for the platform, not the
compiler.

-Steve