[OT] Re: C's Biggest Mistake on Hacker News

Laeeth Isharc Laeeth at laeeth.com
Tue Jul 31 22:55:08 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 29 July 2018 at 09:35:06 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> On Saturday, 28 July 2018 at 14:45:19 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
> wrote:
>>
>> I forgot the link... here it is:
>> https://www.quantamagazine.org/to-make-sense-of-the-present-brains-may-predict-the-future-20180710
>>

> An interesting article. I found that Dennet's Consciousness
> Explained, which is presumably debunked old hat by now, is full
> of interesting experiments and speculation about how we model
> things in our mind and how our perceptions feed into that. It's
> a long time since I read it but if I remember correctly he
> shows how we seem to have a kind of mental theatre which has an
> expectation of what will come next from the senses, leading to
> interesting mistakes in perception. It's a useful model of how
> the mind works.
>
> That website often carries good articles about new maths as
> well.
>

>> Me and my colleague are pretty different, in the approach to
>> that kind of stuff...
>>
>> Maybe I'll post on the Forum a 'Request for D Advocacy', a-la
>> PostgreSQL, so the community can try to address some of his
>> concerns about modern D, and lower his discomfort!
>>
>> :-P
>
> If you can explain to me what is the _direction_ of D in terms
> of interfacing with large C++ libraries it would be very much
> appreciated! I'd love to be using D for some of my projects but
> I have a perception that using e.g. VTK is still a difficult
> thing to do from D. Is that still true? What is the long term
> plan for D, is it extern(C++), a binding technology? Is there
> any interest in Calypso from the upper echelons? I want to know
> where D is trying to go, not just where it is now. I want to
> know if anyone has got their heart in it.
>
> My CV says my main languages are Java, Python and D. That last
> one is mainly wishful thinking at the moment. I wish it wasn't!
> Make me believe, Paulo!

Well we are hiring D programmers in London and HK in case it's
interesting.

Dpp doesn't work with STL yet.  I asked Atila how long to
#include vector and he thought maybe two months of full-time
work.  That's not out of the question in time, but we have too
much else to do right now.  I'm not sure if recent mangling
improvements help and how much that changes things.  But DPP
keeps improving as does extern (C++) and probably one way and
another it will work for quite a lot.  Calypso makes cpp classes
work as both value and reference types.  I don't know the limit
of what's possible without such changes - seems like C++ mangling
is improving by leaps and bounds but I don't know when it will be
dependable for templates.

It's not that relevant what Andrei or Walter might think because
it's a community-led project and we will make progress if
somebody decides to spend their time working on it, or a company
lends a resource for the same purpose.  I'm sure they are all in
favour of greater cpp interoperability, but I don't think the
binding constraint is will from the top, but rather people
willing and able to do the work.

And if one wants to see it go faster then one can logically find
a way to help with the work or contribute financially.  I don't
think anything else will make a difference.

Same thing with Calypso.  It's not ready yet to be integrated in
a production compiler so it's an academic question as to the
leadership's view about it.