D on top of Hacker News!

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Jun 5 23:38:32 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 at 21:53:51 UTC, I love Ice Cream wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 at 20:15:07 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 05, 2018 15:09:56 Dejan Lekic via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:

>>> The right place to look is
>>> https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/d/
>>>
>>> I agree with other comments regarding TIOBE - they are
>>> constantly changing how they do statistics so they are not
>>> relevant source at all. Just look where Kotlin is there and
>>> that should pretty much tell you everything. I know at least
>>> 10 large companies that are moving from Java/Scala to Kotlin,
>>> yet Kotlin is at the bottom 50 table... Ridiculous...
>>
>> The TIOBE has never been a measurement of how much any given
>> language is used. At best, it's been a measurement of which
>> languages folks have been searching for. That can tell you
>> something, but you have to understand what it's measuring to
>> have any clue what it does tell you. And of course, because of
>> how difficult it is to measure search results for a particular
>> language, they keep changing their criteria. The result is
>> that while the tiobe index may be interesting, it must be
>> taken with a very large grain of salt - and that's without
>> getting into any discussions of how valid it is or isn't to
>> use search results from google to do the measuring.
>>
>> - Jonathan M Davis
>
> And all of the other metrics done by other groups that was
> provided that paints a similar picture?
>
> http://githut.info/
>
> http://pypl.github.io/PYPL.html
>
> http://sogrady-media.redmonk.com/sogrady/files/2018/03/lang.rank_.118.png
>
> https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/the-2017-top-programming-languages
>
> https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2016
>
> I'm not really intending to crap on anyone here. It's just the
> dismissal of a collection of data all pointing towards one
> particular conclusion is a bit strange. It seems like the
> interest in D is going down not up. I mean it could have a
> renaissance, but I'd imagine some work would have to be put
> into that to make it happen.

The first link shows D having more repos. The third doesn't show
changes in language popularity over time. I can't find any info
about D usage over time in the other three links. The Stack
Overflow survey isn't going to be informative anyway because most
activity for D occurs here, not on SO, so it wouldn't be
representative.