DUB colored output proposal/showcase

gdelazzari giacky98.mail at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 13:51:05 UTC 2018

On Friday, 8 June 2018 at 13:38:59 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> Looks excellent! Two thumbs up from me. Is it cross-platform?
>
> Note on some platforms (ahem, Macos) the background is white,
> so this should be correctly colored for that possibility.
>
> -Steve

At the moment it's "probably" Linux-only, but that's because I
only wanted a proof of concept and I worked on it on my Linux
installation. I imported this library/Dub package
https://github.com/yamadapc/d-colorize and just used it. Which,
by the way, it's no-good at the moment since I saw that Dub
doesn't use Dub packages itself - probably because, otherwise,
you don't have a way to easily compile it without Dub itself, I
guess :P so I'll need to either write my custom color outputting
code within Dub's source or just import that library.

Of course making it cross-platform is a mandatory thing to me.
Windows also needs some specific stuff to output colors, as you
can see in the library I linked, so there are definitely some
things to do to support all the platforms. I may even take a look
at how DMD itself outputs colored output, I guess it will be nice
to keeps things consistent.

As for MacOS having a different background... I don't really own
a Mac nor I have ever used one before, so I don't even know how
tools usually output their colored text on it. At the moment it
just sets the foreground color to green/yellow/blue/whatever,
without changing the background, if that was your concern. If you
meant that yellow-on-white is not readable... well... I guess so.
Maybe two different color palettes should be used? IDK, as I said
I never used a Mac before so I don't really know how other tools
handle this, maybe if some Mac user could help on this, it would
be great.

Thanks for the appreciation by the way!