grain: mir, LLVM, GPU, CUDA, dynamic neural networks

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 13:33:27 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 12 June 2018 at 11:10:30 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
> I just discovered
>
> https://github.com/ShigekiKarita/grain
>
> which seems like a very ambitious and active project for making
> dynamic neural networks run on the GPU using D in front of mir
> and CUDA.
>
> Are there any long-term goals around this project except for
> the title?
>
> It would great if someone (author) could write a little
> background-knowledge (tutorial) around the subject of dynamic
> neural networks that assists all the details in the examples at
>
> https://github.com/ShigekiKarita/grain/tree/master/example
>
> Further, could parts of grain be refactored out into some
> generic CUDA-library for use in domains other than dynamic
> neural networks?

Looks interesting, though it seems the author has only just
recently tagged the first two releases (3-4 days ago). That
doesn't mean that I don't agree with your suggestions (more
examples/tutorials, separate GPU & autograd/NN library), just
maybe the author has been more focused on basic functionality for
now.