Has anyone been successful using 64-bit release dmd on Windows?

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 17:43:41 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 at 17:30:34 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 at 17:13:09 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> After too many days of frustration to be able to count, I
>> finally discovered what works for our builds: the debug build
>> of 64-bit dmd on Windows.
>>
>> When I build the release version from the Makefile or use
>> digger, it produces a dmd binary that crashes randomly (bad
>> enough) or compiles executables which themselves crash or run
>> forever (much, much worse).
>
> I've used 64-bit DMD exclusively while Windows was my primary
> OS, but that was a few years ago.
>
> Do you have a way to reproduce these problems reliably? If so,
> a few things you could try to narrow down the problem:
>
> - Use DustMite and a test script that compiles a program with
> 64-bit release dmd.exe and a 32-bit or 64-bit debug dmd.exe,
> and accepts any reductions in which only the former crashes.

Until recently, I only had random dmd crashes. It was only
yesterday that I managed to get a build that failed consistently.
I'll try dustmite on it.

On another note, it seems that debug dmd only crashes less
frequently. It just crashed on me again.

> - See if this is a regression (do older 64-bit DMDs work OK?),
> and if so, use Digger to find where it was introduced.

We never had problems up until 2.77.3 if I'm not mistaken.

> - It's possible that the bug occurs not in the compiled DMD
> code, but in the host DMD compiler. There was at least one
> recorded case of a bug in the host DMD resulting in a broken
> built DMD which in turn executed successfully, but built broken
> programs. A discrepancy between which host DMD compiler is used
> can sometimes explain why some tests succeed on CI but fail
> locally, or vice versa.

I tried multiple versions of host dmd. No differences in
behaviour.

Atila