D community's view on syntactic sugar

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 01:23:00 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 16 June 2018 at 00:20:35 UTC, Seb wrote:

> So of course, people obviously like syntactic sugar, but the
> problem is that nowadays one needs a strong argument when
> trying to convince W&A for introducing yet another language
> feature as it bloats the language and makes it harder for
> newcomers to learn it and read code in it. Also in the past a
> few language features haven't turned out to be that great, so
> that's why nowadays there's more caution.

Is D trying to beat Python in learning as first language or what?
How for example ?. operator would make it harder to learn when
one doesn't even use it in their code? Or string interpolation?
And when encountered in others people code this will raise
questions "what is that fancy thing?", then knowing about such
things would raise another question "this is definetely some nice
feature, how can I use it to improve my own code?", and that's
it, this is the point of no return, say goodbye to old ugly code.
But right, D doesn't need that... of course D doesn't even needs
working DLL's