Phobos' std.conv.to-conversion from enum to string doesn't scale beyond hundreds of enumerators

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sun Jun 24 22:33:09 UTC 2018

On Thursday, June 21, 2018 22:46:23 Per Nordlöw via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I've discovered the annoying fact that std.conv.to doesn't scale
> for enum to string conversion when the enum has hundreds of
> members. This because of a call to `NoDuplicates` which has (at
> least) O(n*log(n) time and space complexity.

I'm certainly not going to argue against trying to make std.conv.to faster,
but what on earth are you doing that you have an enum with hundreds of
members? I would have thought that an enum that had anywhere near fifty
members was enormous, let alone hundreds. I'm not sure that I've ever dealt
with an enum that had more than maybe a couple dozen members.

- Jonathan M Davis