Expanding tool (written in D) use, want advice

aliak something at something.com
Sun Jun 24 23:23:13 UTC 2018

On Friday, 22 June 2018 at 14:45:46 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> So I have a tool chain developed utilizing D. It is kind of
> like a Linter for what my company does. I started its
> development back in 2009 as a POC for why the company should
> pursue such a concept. That didn't work and I've been utilizing
> and had a few people pick it up and gain value from it.
>
> Recently there is a vitalized effort to look at how we can test
> better, so once again I'm advocating for this Lint like concept
> and of course utilizing my experience with this tool I have
> used over the years.
>
> But it is written in D and we don't have any D developers, we
> have C# (and other language) developers. So clearing the
> tension is that it should be rewritten into C# (if I can
> convince them that linting is beneficial, which I actually
> don't think would be a need if it was already in C#).
>
> My argument is going to mainly center around utilizing what
> exists. Once we have more use and a greater need to make
> modifications, we can look at a C# migration but we shouldn't
> start there.
>
> Should I be looking more at the benefits of having D as a tool?
> It was a good choice for me since I know D so well (and other
> reasons at the time), but C# is a reasonable language in this
> space. I'm thinking, like should I go into how learning D
> wouldn't be too hard for new hire since it has similar syntax
> to C# and so on.

Biggest resistance I usually get is around tooling and library
availability - which is not something I can argue for in the face
of other languages. So if that comes up, I'd be interested to
know how that went.

Also, "may D force be with you" (has no one made a t-shirt from
that yet, it's so bad it's good!) :p

Cheers,
- Ali