Expanding tool (written in D) use, want advice

Vijay Nayar madric at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 15:32:56 UTC 2018

On Friday, 22 June 2018 at 14:45:46 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> Should I be looking more at the benefits of having D as a tool?
> It was a good choice for me since I know D so well (and other
> reasons at the time), but C# is a reasonable language in this
> space. I'm thinking, like should I go into how learning D
> wouldn't be too hard for new hire since it has similar syntax
> to C# and so on.

One strong argument to make is based on performance. Give them
numbers about how fast your tool runs and make it efficient. The
idea is that because the linting tool will be run for every
incremental build a developer makes, slower running times are a
barrier to productivity.

But once performance targets are defined, and if the company
thinks that C# can also meet those targets, then really it's
their call. Ultimately it is their company and their assets.

In such a case, I would generalize your tool for use outside of
the specific context of your company, and make it the basis of an
open source project.