Disappointing performance from DMD/Phobos

Eugene Wissner belka at caraus.de
Tue Jun 26 18:26:48 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 26 June 2018 at 18:07:56 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 at 10:43, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 26 June 2018 at 19:41, Manu via Digitalmars-d
>> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

>> > Keep LDC up to date with DMD master daily! ;)
>>
>> Like what GDC is doing  (almost) ;-)
>
> Orly? Have you gotten GDC to a point where you can actively
> keep up to
> date? You should definitely advertise that better, I think most
> users
> still presume that GDC is a few revisions behind latest.
> Do you have nightly builds that are close to the DMD nightlies?
>
> Sadly we're working with the MSVC ABI, and I don't think GCC
> has a backend for that arch do they? LLVM has done a lot of
> work to interop with MSVC.

D frontend was merged into GDC master. It is version 2.076 now.
The older version was merged to make the switch easy and just
replace the C++ frontend with the same version of the D frontend.
There is a pull request to merge 2.080-beta into master:

https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/pull/683

But some tests are still fail.

There is no nightly builds for DMD. It is currently more
important to keep GDC up to date with GCC master (I'm updating
GDC to to work with GCC weekly snapshots), because it would help
to get GDC merged into GCC.

I can't currently promise anything but I wanted to build GDC
binaries (gcc-7 or gcc-8) for me with a new frontend (2.080) and
for Ubuntu, so other people can use it. Not sure how difficult
will it be to update to the newer D-frontend versions (2.081 ...
and so on), so not sure if I'll be able to help Iain much with
that.

I should probably write some announcement about the latest work
on GDC :).