`update` and `require` properties for AA

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Tue Jun 26 23:22:19 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 26 June 2018 at 17:12:37 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 12:54:11PM -0400, Steven Schveighoffer
> via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>> 1. The dlang.org repository is backwards -- master generates
>> the docs for the default dlang.org. I've brought this up
>> before, still don't understand why we don't use stable for the
>> latest dlang.org.
>
> Probably because we want to keep phobos-prerelease up-to-date
> with git master?

FWIW the docs in the release archives are built from stable.
The reason is that both stable _and_ master are built on
dlang.org, so historically no one was interested in doing release
management for the docs.

> The only sane way to do this IMO is to make the dlang.org
> makefiles generate multiple versions of the docs, thereby
> acting as the authoritative source for all dlang.org pages.

It already takes 20 minutes to do a full build of all dlang.org
HTML pages.
Doing it for old versions is a REALLY bad idea as you are
susceptible to
- more random failures (e.g. DUB registry being down)
- it will take hours for each build
- it won't be possible to do it in a CI for each PR due to the
large time required, which means the deployment could be broken
without us knowing
- resources might be offline or change (e.g. currently it fetches
the RSS from the DBlog for the frontpage indexes, this already
broke the build a few times)
- building all versions will fail due to newer dependencies or
OS-level changes (e.g. -fPIC, glibc changes, ...)

> This means released specs need to be archived separately (e.g.,
> by copying to spec/${version}/* and linking stuff there).
>
> I just checked the versioned docs with the button on the upper
> right of the page... it links to dlang.io, which IMO is a bad
> idea, not because of dlang.io itself but because we're
> basically relying on an external URL to contain what we assume
> it might contain.  IMO it's better to keep all versions of the
> docs in a single repo (dlang.org) so that things can be
> updated/refreshed from a single source, in keeping with SSOT.
> Doing it that way then lets us do things like fix typos in
> older docs without unnecessary complications.

Ehm the docarchives are simple a snapshot of each version (that's
why the "Improve this page" doesn't work or the "Version" button
says it's stable even though it's 2.076 (or there isn't even a
version button at all).
Anyhow, I'm pretty sure that we don't want to put all the HTML
files into the main dlang.org git repo. It's about 5 GB extracted.
The repo is here and part of the official D GitHub organization

https://github.com/dlang/docarchives.dlang.io

I don't see any problem of hosting it there, after all, the
content never changes.
There hasn't been much interest in it so far, so I doubt that
moving things will make this any better.